The history of 13 Lake Street dates back to 1873. The historical information we have below, was put together by the New York State Historic Trust and Cornell University.
“Historical and Architectural Importance: Replaced a wooded building housing Ashley’s Saloon which burned in 1872. Sarah Ashley was ‘contemplating building a brick building on the site’ in 1872 and this building was constructed shortly after that. In 1878, the building housed S.E. Ashley’s Saloon, Restaurant and Confectionary and in 1904, Michael Lynch’s Saloon.
In 1908, a music teacher named Margaret Jackway was at 13 Lake. In 1920, the building housed the Owego Gaslight Co. and Cortwright Photographers. Between 1930 and 1940, American Grocery occupied the structure. From 1955 until about 1968, Triangle Shoes operated from 13 Lake. The Haystack and The Woodpile occupied the building until about 1975, after which the Haystack became the sole commercial occupant. Apartments exist on the upper floors.”
We are Ike and Julie Lovelass…just a couple of normal schmoes who fell in love with a building and the Owego spirit! We opened this casual café on November 11, 2015 and haven’t looked back since!
We welcome your thoughts and feed back so feel free to email us below or give us a call at 607-223-4209.